TCBOTB Template

Saturday 4 April 2015

31 Day Blog Challenge - Day 4 My Earliest Memory

Good Morning,

Ok, we're now on day 4 of the challenge and this is where it starts to get tricky!  I'm 45 so it's hard to think back on my earliest memories now.  I can't say I have any really vivid memories before the summer of 1974, this was the year I started primary school and I went on a summer holiday to Orkney (the one and only time I was ever there).  I just remember snippets of the Italian Chapel, Churchill Barriers, Skara Brae, jellyfish on the beaches and the swimming pool at Stomness as well as the farm cottage we stayed in.  It must have been August because I remember we went to a lovely hotel that overlooked the Neolithic standing stones at Stenness, to celebrate my mum's birthday.  Funnily enough she would have been 45, the same age I am now.  My gran was from one of the smaller Orkney Isles of Stronsay and my aunt was also born there but they moved to Aberdeenshire before my mum and uncles were born.  It's somewhere I would like to visit again and perhaps look into some of my ancestry.

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my latest challenge offering.

Shona xx

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful holiday. ....my parents went on a coach holiday to Orkney, several years ago. I recall seeing their lovely photos of some of the places you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely memories Shona. I have been "abroad" to Scotland and spent a happy fortnight just outside Ayr after my O' Levels, indulging in unspeakable Young Farmer activities....nuff said!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. really great memories Shona - I would struggle with this one xx

    ReplyDelete